As the weather starts to turn in, I begin to crave more warming meals like soups and stews made from root veggies. Beetroot is one of my favourites, partly because of its rich, vibrant colour, but also because of it’s sweet, earthy taste and how versatile it is. It is also jam packed with a whole load of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants to help keep the body happy.
YOU WILL NEED:
- 2 Tbsp cooking oil of choice (I used rapeseed)
- 4 raw beetroots, chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- A few sprigs of fresh thyme
- ½ can coconut milk
- 2 cubes of vegetable stock mixed in 1L boiling water
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Salt & Pepper
- Feta & pumpkin seeds to top (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large pan. Cook the onion and garlic for a few minutes before adding in the beetroot, thyme, salt and pepper. Continue cooking for about 10 minutes, continuously stirring.
- Add in the vegetable stock (you may not need all of it, it depends how you like the consistency of your soup), bring to the boil then reduce the head and allow everything to simmer for around 45 mins to 1 hour. Keep stirring occasionally.
- Add in the coconut milk and apple cider vinegar, simmer for another five minutes.
- Once the beetroot has softened completely, add the mixture to a blender (tip: use a ladle…pouring it from a pan can be very messy!). Blitz until smooth; if the soup is a little too thick for your liking, you can always add a bit more boiling water or coconut milk.
- Reheat if necessary.
- Serve with crusty bread, feta and pumpkin seeds.