When I was about 14 my friends and I would go to Caffe Nero every Friday after school and buy giants mugs of hot, sweet chai lattes. Now days, although I still love the flavour, I find the ones from coffee chains far too sickly.
I created this super simple recipe from all natural ingredients, because I wanted to recreate that ‘Christmas in a cup’ flavour, without all the added crap. In fact, as well as tasting sooo good, this festive drink also has many health benefits…
Cinnamon is a high source of antioxidants, helps regulate blood sugar levels and is an anti-inflammatory (perfect if you’re feeling a bit run down). Nutmeg is thought to improve cognitive function (dating way back to the ancient Romans and Greeks!), aid digestion and can help reduce pain. The maca is totally optional, as it doesn’t really add much to the flavour, but it’s great if you want that extra health kick; helping to balance hormones and increase energy levels.
So, whether you’re wrapping presents, watching a festive film or just feel like something comforting and warm, give this a try!
YOU WILL NEED:
- tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground mixed spices
- ½ tsp maca powder
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- squeeze of Sweet Freedom’s fruit syrup
- almond milk (I use the one from Rude Health as it’s naturally sweetened with rice. Any other milk alternatives would work well too!)
- Combine all the spices, maca, vanilla extract and syrup into your cup to and stir to make a paste.
- Add a little boiling water, stir again.
- Fill the rest up with hot almond milk…and enjoy!